Friday 2 January 2015

In with the new...

There's something deeply reassuring about the gentle rhythms of the liturgical cycle. Singing the Te Deum on New Year's Eve and the Veni Creator Spiritus on New Years's Day is a reminder that no matter what changes or challenges the past year has brought, or the coming year will bring, we will, Deo volente, once again offer praise and thanksgiving when this infant year draws to a close..

The blog has been quiet for a while: there have been many changes in my (and my family's) life and the orchard I once gazed over from my kitchen window has been replaced by a seascape of muted greys and blues. Our new home is full of packing crates crammed with our worldly possessions and it will take some time for these to be organised... In the meantime I intend to resume blogging but have one small query: my nom-de-plume was the common name of a large apple tree in my former garden. Shall I change it, or shall I remain an apple tree at the seaside?

In the meantime, here's a jolly singalong to practice for next year:





3 comments:

  1. Buy a new Annie Elizabeth and plant it in the new garden... the hermeneutic of continuity in action... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea: I don't know why I didn't think of it (unpacking-brain) -- it's an old variety but I reckon the National Fruit Collection at Brogdale (http://www.brogdalecollections.co.uk) would be able to get me one. It's a lovely multipurpose variety.

      Delete
  2. "There's something deeply reassuring about the gentle rhythms of the liturgical cycle".

    Totally agree, Annie Elizabeth. I find "The Liturgical Year", by Dom Prosper Guéranger, encapsulates what you say. Required daily reading for those with the time and inclination.

    Meanwhile, food for thought:

    Annie Elizabeth 2
    or
    Ein Apfel-Baum am Meer
    or
    Un arbre pomme à la mer
    or
    Un albero di mele al mare
    or
    Un manzano en la playa.

    Best Wishes for the new house.

    ReplyDelete